Friday, November 13, 2009

One of those nights...


Heck, I mean,one of those days...

Have you ever had one of those days when the caffeine never kicked in?  I kept waiting and waiting.  Around 10 in the morning, I thought to myself, "Heck, I give up, I should go a head, pour myself a glass of pinot and call it a day."   I flashed on the image of DH coming home, finding his wife on the sofa in her leopard robe, with her bunny slippered feet propped up on the coffee table and the cats tip toeing through empty wine bottles bottles on the floor.

I could see the look of worry on his face.  His concern would become apparent as he sniffed the air...."Oh my god," he would gasp, "Dinner's not ready!!"
 
I smirked as I thought of the possible drunken retorts, then decided to do 2 loads of laundry. We apparently are among the most sartorily clean people on earth, I could easily do a load of laundry a  day.  His teeshirts breed like horny mice once they're tossed in the dirty clothes basket.  Laundry loaded, I went for a very short run...and returned to cook the laziest meal ever.

I keep the freezer stocked with components of quick dinners, for when time is short, the well of  inspiration is dry, or when sloth prevails.  I use A LOT of the frozen entrees by Trader Joe's.  Did you know their frozen  Risotto is from France?  I know, I castigated the evil carbon emitting non-local produced food in my last post.  Sorry, but edible things from France are exempt.  Even Mr. Gore would agree.  TJ's frozen entrees are for the most part, real food.

Another frozen go to staple are pot pies made by http://potpieparadise.com/.  This is a local company, starrted by a lady who had a dream about golden meat pies and took it as a sign to start cooking.  These are amazing pies.  She has a stand at the Temescal Farmers Market.  We buy two a week to keep on hand for those nights when I neglect my wifely duties don't cook.

What's amazing is her fillings.  Of course, there is your prosaic stuffings like chicken and roast beef (free range), she has an entire range of exotic wonderful fillings: chicken tikka masala, or a creamy orgasmic mixture of ricotta, feta and butternut squash (oh yeah), or duck, or lamb curry, or elk!  For those of you who don't live in the Bay Area, you can order on line.  Do so!

So, last night, we had our pies, DH had his usual chicken, and I had the Lime Garden Curry--hot and citrisy.
And how could I not cook?

Seriously, when I serve these pies, I usually serve a salad or a bowl of hot steamy soup as the perfect counterpart.  Last night, it was my super easy tomato soup:

Lazy Girl's Tomato Soup
  • 3 Tbl olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk or cream or half and half
  • 1 cup of beef broth
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) plum tomatoes, undrained -- I like these because they're meatier.
  • chopped basil leaves or fresh grated Parmesan, optional
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion ; cook, stirring, until tender. Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Watch carefully, do not brown.  Gradually stir in the liquids and add the sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Add the tomatoes to the mixture. As they heat, mash them with your potato masher to thicken the soup  in a separate saucepan.  Let the soup cook at a low simmer for at least 30 mins.  (as long as it takes to heat a frozen  pot pie!).   If desired, garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or fresh chopped basil leaves and garlic croutons.

No comments: